Thursday, March 14, 2013

One.Year.Old

(ETA: This post was written Dec 2012...)

Warning: lengthy sentimental update ahead...


I'm not really sure how but somehow it happened...


My tiny sweet little baby girl turned into a walking (sometimes running) talking Toddler. 


We had an amazing First Birthday party which I hope to recap soon but for now here are 12 Things about my 12 Month Old (OK...almost 13 Month old...)

  1. Weight/Height: This I find very interesting...at Amelia's 1 Year Well Check she weighed in at 20 lbs 14 oz (no surprise there, right on track with her recent gains) and was measured at 28.5 Inches tall....exactly what they measured her at her 9 Month Well Check. This makes no sense. They measured her twice so they think that she was measured incorrectly last time because I know for a FACT that she has grown in height since our last visit. I have several pairs of pants that she has grown out of in length to prove it! Either way the doc isn't worried and I know she is growing and tall so I'm not worried but it is very puzzling!
  2. Teeth: We have 8 teeth that have cut through but I KNOW she is working on several more including Molars. Last weekend we were at a Holiday get together at a friend's house who happens to be a Pediatric Dentist and I happened to look into Amelia's mouth and saw a dark spot right where a Molar will eventually be so I asked my friend about it and she said it was a something hemotoma and it means the Molar is going to cut through any minute now... unfortunately that was over a week ago and still no molar...so yeah...we are dealing with the joys of teething! 
  3. Walking: We officially have a walker (practically runner) on our hands! Amelia took her first steps at my mom's in late October , I had my mom stand her up and said come see mommy and she took 3 steps to me! She didn't really do it on her own for maybe a week or so after that but by her First Birthday she was walking all over the place. Just this past weekend she figured out how to stand up without using anything to assist her and she is basically running around like its no big deal. Its all happened so fast! Even though she can walk unassisted she still very much enjoys pushing her Walking Toy and chairs and boxes around rooms.
  4. Talking: Much like her momma Amelia is quite the little jabbermouth! Of course she does the usual toddler gibberish and even sings and squeals from time to time but she also has a good little sets of words that she is working on that we actually understand! So far her vocabulary includes: that (sounds a little like "dat" and is always joined with a finger pointed at what she wants), dada and daddy, mama (occasionally, not very often, sad face), dog or doggy (its ADORABLE, she gets a little high voice squeal when she says doggy, she LOVES Elle), Elle and Izzy (our dog and Nana's dog...not completely clear but you can tell what she is trying to say), Thai (her friend at daycare), ducky, dolly, uh oh. She is always mimicking the sounds we make or the inflections in our voice. 
  5. Word Recognition and Association: Although Amelia can only verbalize a few words I am convinced she understands most of what we say. We recently learned that if we ask her where her ball is she will go get it and bring it to us! (That's not the same as playing fetch with a dog right...) :)
  6. Eating/nursing/weaning: We are down to nursing first thing in the morning and right before bed. During the day Amelia drinks coconut milk or water. If I have to be away at bedtime she goes to bed without milk. At this point I feel pretty confident she isn't getting much...I think its more of a comfort thing than anything else. I feel like I am ready to wean at this point but I don't want to rush it for her sake, its a big change for her as its all she has known and I want it to be as natural as possible. Eating solid food is going pretty well. Most days she will eat just about anything you give her. She has her moments where she refuses but overall I am very happy. She still LOVES blueberries and black beans! 
  7. Hugs and Kisses: Amelia now gives hugs and kisses and it is WONDERFUL. The best is when she nestles in for a hug when you are holding her. If you ask her for a kiss or a hug she will usually oblige and she even gives her dolly and stuffed animals hugs and kisses. It is simply adorable!
  8. Separation Anxiety: Long story short...its happening.
  9. Schedule: Wake up around 6:15 and nurse, Breakfast at 8 w/Milk in cup, Nap at 9, Lunch around 11:30 w/Milk in cup, Nap at 1, Snack around  4 w/Water or Milk in cup, Dinner at 6 w/Water or Milk in cup, Nurse at 7:30, asleep by 8!
  10. Firsts: Cupcake (10/29/12 at 1st birthday photo shoot), Birthday Party!, Steps, real shoes
  11. Loves: Cell phones, computers and remote controls, FOOD!, reading books, sitting in her own chair
  12. Not so much: Diaper changes, sitting still, being confined, not getting what she wants 




Amelia Walking! 






No comments:

Post a Comment